Sunday, 3 June 2007

Two new ones

As a novice doll-maker, I am still experimenting. I made two more dolls to replace the 'twins' that I gave to my grandaughter.

I used different materials for these, to see how they worked up.

One is made from furnishing weight velour. This was just a bit too thick and heavy and made the details hard to work. The arms and legs are simply sewn to the body on this doll. I painted the face in the same way as I made the previous dolls, with fabric paints and gouache.

The other is made from brushed cotton of the type used for winter nightdresses. This was nice to work with, and lovely and soft to touch, but a little too loosely woven. On this doll, I sewed a button to each arm and leg and sewed through both the buttons and the body. The face for this doll was drawn in coloured pencils on a piece of cream glazed cotton. I used the same fabric for the whole head and it was just a little too stiff, but I liked the almost translucent look of the face. I'll try it again, using the same type of front face gusset and a different, softer fabric for the sides.

Neither of the ways of joining the limbs to the body worked as well as teddy bear joints, because the arms and legs are just that bit too loose.


(click on photo for bigger image)

This is a close-up of the coloured pencil face.

(click on photo for bigger image)

3 comments:

Maryellen said...

Welcome to Art doll makers. I look forward to seeing more of your work.

Penny said...

As a doll maker from way way back I think these dolls are lovely Congratulations. thanks for leaving Congratulations on my blog, as this will be the 11th grandchild and its mother is 4 with her youngest 10 it has all been a bit of a surprise all around! I will probably have to make dolls again, although mine are more art dolls these days.

Conni said...

Kay, I just noticed your new blog, here. The dolls are wonderful - your painted faces are very sweet and expressive.