Monday, 16 March 2015

Change of face.....

My sewing machine has been in for a service so this owl is all hand sewn, made in felt.
I used the same face pattern but with more "fur" around the face to make a slightly different kind of owl. He has a "bib" instead of a waistcoat and sewn felt feet. I tried four toes, as that is what owls have, but the feet became too wide. These still look a bit too big to me, but I could make them a lot narrower in cloth.

Here's a back view. I think his wings have a quite elegant sweep!

The stitching on the wings is just fly stitch. The pattern pieces are sewn together with buttonhole stitch embellished with trellis around the edges of the wings and parts of the body.

Sunday, 15 March 2015

More spohisticated owl!

This one has two back pieces, to make a better shape with a bit of a tail. I wanted more expression and movement too, so I changed the wings.

These wings are two layers of felt, but they could be wired or maybe have metal mesh inside.

Here's a back view.

I'm really not happy with the feet. I think I shall try them sewn in cloth and wired, rather like doll hands.