Saturday, 6 December 2014

No takers!

I designed and made a few of these especially for the Steampunk themed Christmas Fair. Lots of people admired them, but nobody bought one!


His arms and legs are made from plastic covered wire from an old computer. I thought they would fit with the theme - who can tell?



Tuesday, 2 December 2014

Introducing "His Worship"

I started this last year but I ran out of steam on him.

I had him standing in the workshop waiting for me to decide who he was going to be. Finally, he becomes "His Worship".

This is where he got to......

 .....and this is where he is now




It was giving him hair that did it - he went from peasant to patrician. Instead of the sandals with rope ties that I had planned, he got boots. I made them in two parts, shoes with "tucked in gaiters". I've given him a short waistcoat because I thought, tucked into the boots, his trousers had an "Edwardian" look. Then I needle felted him a hat, I think it's a "Derby". He still needs some bits and pieces - notably a belt and something to carry his important odds and ends in. I'm taking part in a Christmas Craft Fair with a Steampunk theme this month and I'm hoping to take him with me, so he has a "steampunk style" chain of office and decoration to his hat. He should fit right in once he is finished!

He will make a good pal for old "Pucklington Hive".




Monday, 1 December 2014

Sore fingers from stitching Santas

It's helter skelter until December 6th now. I have a table booked at a local craft fair - 53 vendors and "A Trip Back in Time" Steampunk theme. I'm really looking forward to it, it should be fun. But panic stations..........................

I've made a few Santas, using more or less the same construction as the St.Nicholas figures.




Sunday, 30 November 2014

WIP St. Nicholas figures

Making the fabric:
 Needlefelted.
 Quilted.
 Wired cloth hands. Trellis stitch, interlaced chain band and double chevron.
 Embroidery finished.





Done! Beaded, bearded and accessorised!

Tuesday, 9 September 2014

I fall for autumn!

Inspired by all the red berries and leaves and decaying flowers I made this:



Sunday, 31 August 2014

Stitch Witchery

Latest fabric witch. Unusually for me with a needle felted face. An experiment to see if I could get more relief in the features.






Tuesday, 13 May 2014

Getting dressed

More progress on the warrior woman:


A skirt made from a scrap of discarded fabric.


A breastplate fashioned from acorn cups and scraps of bark.




Seashell shoulder pads.

All needlefelted.




Monday, 5 May 2014

Let's face it!

More progress on the warrior woman:



Wired needle felted horns, black bead eyes and features mapped out.

Sunday, 4 May 2014

Missed another deadline...................

I started this for the Art Dolls Only Monthly Challenge - April, Warrior Woman. This is as far as I got before I ran out of time!

First wrapping on a wire armature, headless but with hands!

I really haven't done much at all lately. I think it's been a combination of;  a really dull, wet and dreary winter, losing all my lovelies to the lure of the sun, sand and surf 'Down Under' and having to walk their dog every day on the South Downs! Anyway, I think my "MOJO" may be returning. I plan to finish this one, I've been messing about tidying up the sadly neglected workroom and I've just heard that we've been able to get hold of a tent for the Lammas Festival this year, so I need to get a wriggle on!





First layer of colours needled on and a rough head shape.





Next will be a face, fastening on the head and lots and lots of adding fibres and poking!





Saturday, 3 May 2014

Still Poking!

Needle felted creature number two:



here's a close-up

 

And here's number three:


and a close-up of his pretty face!


I'm quite pleased with these, but I think they need more STUFF, in the way of costume or accessories.
Also, if I want these type of needle felted dolls to stand I will have to use much heavier wire or attach to a base. 


Friday, 14 February 2014

Got the needle!

Needle felting on an armature - working on my technique!

(Click on photo for bigger image)

I've had this creature in my head for some time.

(Click on photo for bigger image) 

I'm fairly pleased with the result. I'm not happy with his feet. I should have made toes to match his legs, not dark hooves. They may have to come out again. And I should have found something better to use for his horns.

Never mind, Version Two is waiting in the wings!